Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Saving money a little bit at a time

I have discovered a new hobby, scouring blogs and forums looking for the best deals on groceries. I've always used coupons but now it's like a game and for the first time ever I can say I had fun shopping last week. I bought a new printer so I could print coupons, and it has already paid for itself. I've heard all sorts of great stuff about the grocery game, but they don't have my local stores, so I did it myself.

My first big trip, I went to Walmart spent 107.96, handed over my coupons and walked out paying 38.09. Last night I sent Robby to Price Chopper so he could see how it works, I gave him a list and coupons. Total for 4 boxes of cereal, 5 boxes of pasta, 2 bottles of Act fluoride rinse, and 2 packages of Oscar Meyer deli meat for 14.58!!! Savings 77%

I am LOVING this coupon thing. At Walmart there was an older couple behind me in the line, the woman was annoyed. I heard her say "they should make a line for these people who need to use all these coupons to save a few cents" I just smiled, then her husband watched my total drop 70 bucks and he told her "you should do that" then I was really smiling. LOL. I am hooked. I will never pay full price again.

I made my first trip to the new Walgreens in Rome on Friday where they happily took my coupons. Saturday I went back armed this time with a list from their ad, and supersaver catalog , plus my coupons. Did my shopping, I had two 1.00 Chex mix coupons, it was on sale for .99 so it should have been free. I also had a $2.00 off any Excederin coupon, it was on sale for 1.99, also free.

I got up to the register, the girl rang me up, I handed her my coupons (some of which were from the Walgreens website) and she very nastily said "we don't take internet coupons" and tossed them back at me. So I said okay but you did yesterday and they came from your site. She said "So? I can't take them it's policy" I said fine, take off everything but the milk. I was ready to go to Walmart and match the prices. She sighed and said then I have to call the manager.... I said fine call her, I don't want it.

So the manager came over and informed the girl that they DO take internet coupons. At least it wasn't just me because the cashier stood there with an attitude and argued with the manager too. The manager was really nice, thankfully because my second trip to Walgreens was quickly about to be my last. She ( the manager) ended up having to re-ring everything and then when she got to my Chex coupons she told me she could only take one because her register would not let her ring in both because they exceeded the price. So I said okay, I'll take one bag, to which she said she can't take any then. I put the Chex mix back, lol. I don't really like the stuff but it was going to be free, lol. The original cashier stood there scowling the entire time.

I stood there debating on whether or not I should mention that her register took the Excederin coupon that also exceeded the price with no problem. I didn't push my luck. I guess long story short, in two trips, three different employees, and not a bit of consistency between them. They definitely don't make a point to make their employees know policies. I think some store will give you overage if the coupon exceeds the price, others will cancel it out and it will just be free. This was my very first refusal.

On a final note I got super lucky at Aldi's today, they had the 5lb packages at 50% off because it was use or freeze by today. I got 10 lbs of burger for 10 bucks!!!!

Altogether I have a full months worth, and then some, of groceries for under 100.

0 comments: