Lightening speed actually. All you need is a Rylan. Actually, I have found his screaming tends to bring quick service across the board, and usually worth the stares of death that come with it.
He has an ear infection. He didn't sleep last night, after trip 210 I brought him in our bed. I know I will regret that tonight when he wakes up but... I really just thought it was his teeth, very slight fever, fingers in his mouth. I gave him some tylenol and rubbed his mouth with some orajel and he calmed down but sat up jibbering away in our bed most of the night. This morning he was fine. Then he napped, he woke up rather unhappy and with bad breath. So I called his doctors office and they said they could fit us in tomorrow afternoon. Made the appointment and sat down. That's when hubby said what's that stuff in his ear... it was oozing thick yellow nasty stuff dripping down his neck. Yuck.
So I called his ENT, got the answering service (are all of these people unfriendly?) Then he started crying, more screaming but there were tears. So I loaded them up and took him to the ER, we got out of the car at 1:34.
He was fine right up until the triage nurse stuck the thingy on his finger to check his O2. Then the screaming started, and it did not stop. Less than 5 minutes later we were in the back where the nurse (who was just wonderful and deserves a raise) checked his temp and his O2 again, this time on his toe and shoved his boot back on. She brought him a beanie baby, and one for Saige too, who was being so good. It did no good, he continued to scream bloody murder, kicking and slamming his head (this is painful... very very painful when you are short enough that his head matches up perfectly with your face). The doctor came immediately, no doubt half the hospital was well aware we were there. I held down his arms because he was hitting the Dr who was only trying to look in his ears (usually Rylan LIKES this part) making him REALLY scream. Two minutes later the nurse was back with stickers and discharge papers. He threw teh stockers back at her but stopped screaming the second we walked outside the doors.
I loaded them up, buckled them in and got in, it was 2:06. It was pretty busy in there, and I have waited HOURS in the ER when it was empty. On to the pharmacy. I don't know why I go to Rite Aid, it is almost never a good experience but they had the grand opening at the new store and Rylan was happier, I was curious we had had RX's filled there in the past so the info was all on file. The lady not so nicely informed me that my insurance no longer covers prescriptions and I would have to pay the $18 OOP. Okay no biggie. Then she said 30-40 minutes.... there were 5 people back there and no one waiting but still whatever. So we wandered and then we wandered some more and then we sat. 20 minutes in they came out and informed me that they didn't have the antibiotic to come back tomorrow afternoon. ugh
So we went to P&C. I never go there, I really don't know why, but I will from now on. The girl was friendly and nice, she tried my insurance card anyway even though I told her they just said it doesn't cover RX anymore ( I suspected this with our new $1500 deductible EACH but wasn't sure until the mean lady at Rite Aid) She confirmed it didn't worked, mentioned the evil insurance companies (did I mention I loved her?) and ridiculous premiums that cover nothing and said she would give me a discount. Sweet. It was $5.00 and took about 6 minutes all together.
The boy is now sleeping, but instead of thick yellow goo he is dripping clear bloody fluid. I was ready to take him back but called the BCBS nurse line, which is the ONLY good thing that they have going for them IMHO. The nurse told me it was okay, in fact a good thing as long as it wasn't gushing blood, straight blood, as opposed to bloody fluid and to just watch him, it looks worse than it is because of his tubes, and keep an eye out for a fever. Poor little guy.
Oh and he was quite happy with beanie baby once we got home and his sister tried to play with it, he's clutching it for all he's worth in his sleep. No doubt to be sure she doesn't try to touch it again.

4 comments:
Excellent visuals in this post. When I get sick I will occasionally email my doc with graphic descriptions of symptoms. One time he wanted to send it in to a medical journal it was so gross.
Maybe you should have brought Saige's husband from the bus and that would have calmed Rylan down.
I think I'd recommend screaming in an ER for quick service. 30 minutes is nice.
Well, hopefully he'll be terrorizing you soon. :-)
My head is the same level as Quinn's when he's in my lap now. I have to dodge constantly or I'll get my nose broken.
Scott P. is right about the visuals, though. It was real enough that I now want to wash my hands.
BTW, I just photo tagged you on my blog. Open your picture files, go to the sixth file, and post the sixth picture. Then you get to tag four other people. So, Tag! You're it.
Trust me it was even worse seeing it. Maybe I should have taken pictures to hammer it home? LOL
No one ever mentions just how gross kids can be before they come along. It's like a giant conspiracy to make you find that out all on your own. Rylan has certainly given me his fair share of gross stuff and he isn't even two yet. A couple weeks ago at MIL's he was smelling ripe so I sent DH to the car for a diaper and I was holding him in my new shirt and SIL says... is that poop running down his legs? They thought is was funny, I wasn't amused.
Yuck Yuck Yuck. I quit nursing because I couldn't handle to constant gross stuff but at least they usually didn't puke, poop or ooze ON me.
"Saige's husband"
Scoot- bite your tongue... she is 4 and there will be no talk of husbands for at least 35 more years :)
Post a Comment