One whiny destructive boy. Today has been one of those days that I can almost understand why people beat their kids. He was NOT being the delightful little boy that has been showing himself more and more lately. If Robby had not taken the car there is a strong possibility Rylan would be sitting on the steps of CPS or I would have run away. If these teeth do not come soon, I still might run away. I should know better than to say he is getting better in writing and call him delightful. It's almost like he knows and needs to prove me wrong.
Rylan, I think, has been on a mission to giving me breakdown today. He spent most of the day begging for food, pushing his highchair all over the house. Everything I fed him- he immediately threw on the floor to the dogs. Food that I KNOW he likes, food that he eats any other time. I have little, no, I have ZERO tolerance for this. I can not afford to feed the dogs 6 human meals a day. I take him down and dinner time is over when he throws his food. This results in him throwing a world class temper tantrum and pushing his highchair around again until I fees him again and the viscous cycle continues. Now I am not mean, well not too mean. I wont starve him but I make him wait at least an hour before I feed him again because if he really was starving he would not feed his dinner to the dog. This went on ALL day long. I don't think he ate more than a few bites of applesauce and half a sandwich all day. I was NOT playing that game anymore. I finally put the dogs outside and made him a sandwich. He threw it. I picked it up put it in a baggie and got him down, he got the same sandwich 4 times and still has half for tomorrow. We are not poor but not rich enough to be wasting food like that.
He dumped the dog food all over the kitchen (so much for getting rid of the mice- I didn't pull out the stove to get what scattered under there). This wouldn't have been a big deal, pick it up and put it back in the bowl, they are dogs and have no qualms about eating food that has been on the floor. Except he then dumped their full water bowl all over the floor and the food. He managed to throw a couple of his sisters books in the puddle while I was cleaning the mess.
While I was in the bathroom he climbed my chair scattered all the bills and insurance paperwork and ruined a few pages that I needed including 10 dollars worth of register rewards. AND he pryed the R and F keys off my laptop. They are broken. They work but they are crooked and hanging by a thread. I probably had steam coming out of my ears. Before I even figured out what he had done Saige was hysterical screaming at me not to sell her brother, that she loves him sometimes and wants to keep him even if he is a big jerk ( I did not yell at her for calling him a jerk, he WAS being a jerk). I have joked many times that if they mess with my laptop and break it I will be selling them to replace it. He is damn lucky they work or he may very well have been on Craigslist at that point. Being named Tara and having tara as my username for just about everything I need my R key, it is not one I can function without.
I think I said no about 12 trillion times today and he had about 14 million tantrums over the stupidest things. The dog was not interested in taking the book he kept poking her with- tantrum. Meanest mommy in the whole world wouldn't let him play with a steak knife- tantrum. Nor the scissors- tantrum. Wouldn't let him play in the garbage- tantrum. He played with power button on the tv and shut it off- tantrum, he turned it back on- tantrum. Removed him at least 25 times from my computer chair (before and after he broke my computer) that he not only likes to climb but likes to try and balance standing on the arms of- 25 tantrums. Wouldn't let him leave the front door open (in fairness I told him if he got a job and paid for the fuel we could revisit the subject, he was too busy having a fit to care) we are in the midst of a snow storm- tantrum. Him opening the door and letting the snow in results in wet laminate floors which are pretty slippery to start with, he slipped while trying to slap me for shutting the door and I laughed, it WAS funny. He did not think so. He wasn't interested in being comforted so I stepped over him and walked away. That really set him off.
The worst of it came when I let him fall down the stairs. That sounds worse than it is. He has been really good about being cautious but lately he's getting cocky and fooling around. We are always right there with him. He was only on the bottom step and screwing around. He fell, I could have grabbed him but instead I just put my hand under his head so he wouldn't slam it. He wasn't injured in the slightest but it did scare him (which is what I was hoping for). He was much better about not screwing around after that but cried and cried the entire way every time he went up and down afterward, he still wanted to go up and down just seemed to think he needed sound effects to do so. Man was he mad at me. Maybe that was wrong and mean but I guess I figure he wouldn't have learned a thing if I had grabbed him and he would still be screwing around.
By the end of the night I had enough. I grabbed my MP3 player ( I can't believe I waited this long to get one of these) and hit the treadmill. My only regret is it doesn't go loud enough to tune him out. He was still in rare form torturing Saige. She was trying to put a puzzle together and he was stealing her pieces, pulling her hair, throwing things and just being rotten. Saige like her dad has the patience of a saint because I am thinking any other 4 year old would have had enough and hit him back. Finally he realized I wasn't paying him the slightest attention anymore and in a snap he was fine, happy and laughing. He discovered that if he puts his toys on the treadmill they will go flying so he spent an hour doing that. I was afraid to stop walking in fear it would set him off again but nope he was okay. Hopefully what ever has possessed him for the last 36 hours is gone for good. Mommy needs break, or a drink, or a vacation.

6 comments:
Now tell us the real story. hehe
Maybe he was briefly possessed by a George Bush gremlin.
Poor baby (you). Poor baby (him). Zoe used to have days like that. I wish I had good advice but I don't. All I could do was try to make her happy and wait. It did go away eventually.
I think you did WONDERFUL! and your right, sometimes if you let them fall, they will learn! :)
And girl, kids can go at least a day with out eating and have no ill effects. Matt used to do it when he was cutting teeth, or just when he got mad at one of us. He was a 'grudge holder' and if he thouht you WANTED him to do something, he would refuse. I am with you though, you throw it on the floor and you are DONE.
I hope tomorrow is better!
OMG, I am laughing my ass off over here! I had to keep reading bits of your post to Ben because he wanted to know what had me cracking up. Trust me, we know EXACTLY how you feel! Only Rory does hit Daisy when she steals his stuff and pulls his hair.
oh lordy - i had one of those days a week ago. While potty training my oldest, he pooped in his underwear. While i tried to clean him up little one climbed up to table & got breakfast cereal, dumped it on the floor & walked on it. So, I got the vacuum out, then older on peed himself, I changed his clothes again. while i was doing that she pushed chair over to counter got my water cup dumped it on herself & all over floor. It all kept happening so fast I coun;dn;t keep up. I finally sat down on the floor & started to cry. So the troops gathered round & cheered mommy up.
But boy i feel for you!!
Welcome M! Thanks for stopping by, thank you all for the comments. Sometimes it's comforting to know you're not alone.
Post a Comment