Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Time Warner Cable is the BIGGEST rip-off RANT

My weekly rant.... my kids have been so good, I should have known SOMETHING would have to piss me off sooner or later.

We have Dish Network, I am on my third DVR box thingy. They seem to burn out every 6-7 months and it's like pulling teeth to get anyone to help you. The last time we waited 2 weeks for them to show up, and then they refused to remove or wear anything over their muddy boots while walking across my 3 day old white carpet.
I have discovered that if you press the button saying you want to sign up for service you can save an hour on hold as opposed to pressing the # saying you already are a customer. This works for almost anything, since customer service goes completely out the window once they have you hooked. They all pick up really quick at the prospect of getting more money. Anyway once again my dvr has failed me. It stopped recording and all my timers disappeared. I called them, got a tech guy who informed me my bill was past due.
Okay.... I have not received a bill this months and I'm sure last months was paid. So I asked what I owe... 67 and change. I have the 19.99 package, we ordered a movie and pay a bit more for RJ's box, local channels and DVR service but still normal bill is 45. So I decide first I should talk to the tech guy about the DVR issue before I start swearing at him. He basically says oh gee that sucks we can't help you just go back and redo all your timers. I record 72 different shows through out the year.... that is a lot of work to set up AGAIN, but I'll do it. Back to the bill,

I ask the guy, surprisingly still in a pretty good mood even though I got no tech answers from the tech guy "Could you tell when it was due because I swear I haven't gotten a bill"

DN idiot- "umm it was due the 22nd"

Me- "well it isn't here yet, when did you send it?" I walked over the calendar and double checked toady is the 25th, wandered to the magazine pile to be sure I didn't overlook it.

DN Idiot- " well it mailed from us on the 22nd"

I stop here and take a few deep breathes trying to resist the urge to reach through the phone and kick him in the nuts. Finally I say "so the bill was due on the 22nd right?

DN Idiot- "that is correct"

"and I have a late fee because it's past due?"

DNI- "that is correct"

"and the bill was mailed FROM YOU ON THE 22ND?" still taking very deep breathes, I should not be required to talk to stupid people on the phone, my blood pressure can't handle the stress

DNI- "yes, that is correct"

"So you mail the bill the same day it's due and then charge me a late fee because it's not there on time? Do you have any idea how beyond incredibly stupid that sounds? Maybe I am misunderstanding does that make any sense at all to YOU?"

DNI- "umm well, umm ...."

Me in my fakest politest voice I can muster "can I PLEASE talk to someone with a brain who can reverse this?"

DNI "Well I can do that, I guess?"

"You guess or yes, you can do this? I have two kids who are currently being ignored while I am wasting precious time on the phone with you, I should hang up and argue with my wall"

DNI- "hold on" at this point if there was a cigarette around, I would be smoking again, I went outside afraid I would say words I didn't want the kids to hear. He comes back "well umm I can't reverse the fee, it's there because you didn't pay last months bill in full"

I was pretty sure I did but, maybe not. "How much was left over?"

DNI- "umm, umm, lets see...... 1.27"

"So I have a late fee for being short one dollar and 27 cents?"

DNI "Yes ma'am" if this wasn't going bad enough he kept calling me ma'am I am not even 30, I HATE the word ma'am. I must have told him 6 times please do not call me ma'am, call me Tara, call me Mrs Skinner, call me anything but ma'am.

"Are my 18 months up? because this is ridiculous... you provide crappy equipment, even crappier customer service, I want to cancel"

DNI "You have been a DN customer for 2 years and 18 days"

"Okay then... lets close this account I don't want your service anymore, I'll rig up some foil and rabbit ears to watch House or I'll sneak around and peep in the neighbors window while they watch House"

DNI " well I don't know if I can do that ma'am the account is in your husbands name...."

I hung up exasperated. I poured myself a glass of wine and sat down with Rylan and calmed down. I figured maybe I should call and see how long before Time Warner could come hook me up before I called Robby and made him call the idiots immediately. Good thing they didn't let me close the account. Over all I would rather deal with morons than be ripped off to the extent Time warner does.

With Dish Network I have 120 channels 19.99, plus locals which is another 5. I told the Time Warner guy I wanted the cheapest Tv package- 59.99 a month for 80 a month for 80 channels. I'm sure he thought I was a nut case because I just started laughing hysterically, finally I got some control and said "no really, whats the cheapest package because I thought you said 60 bucks BEFORE taxes and other fees that make no sense."
Nope I heard him right. I had to ask "do people seriously pay you that? do you know that both Dish network and direct TV are WAY cheaper?" This time he laughed at me, he thought I was kidding, apparently people really do pay that. INSANE Not me I'm (almost, lol) ready to say screw tv all together I can watch almost all of my shows online for free.

Now that I know how Time Warner rapes people for cable... I will be searching to find a cheaper comparable internet connection that will still let me keep Vonage... I love roadrunner, but I think I'm being ripped off, and now I'm having a hard time stomaching the idea of giving the greedy SOB's ANY money for anything. I'm not quite upset enough to go back to dial up though.... how do they get away with that?

I quit smoking, it wasn't that bad.... how sad is it that I go into a HUGE panic at the mere thought of quitting tv, now that all the shows are coming back? The question is am I more stubborn than scared.... I think I very well may be, besides all the shows I watch are network channels anyway. Time Warner says I can get just network channel for 15 a month....15 doesn't sound too bad compared to the 60, but I am really cheap, plus I know after taxes and stupid fees it will be more like 40. I can't bring myself to pay 15 dollars for something that is FREE. Better reception maybe but not worth 15 dollars.
I say I can't live without my dvr, and I think it may be true, it is entirely possible I will lose that last little grip I have on sanity without my dvr. I love putting the kids to bed and sitting down to relax and watch House or CSI... I wonder if I buy my own, if I still have to pay someone for the service? I have to find that out before I do anything too drastic that I will regret.

7 comments:

mckait said...

yikes!!!

Isn't that a horrible feeling? Being helpless at the hands of an idiot....

I hope you get this resolved ..
You know.. you shouldn't feel bad about loving your DVR..I wish I had one!

When there is something that gives you pleasure, it is hard to let it go. Furthermore.. if you give up the things that give you pleasure...that would be bad..

I believe that I could give up tv..but if someone took my books away?????

Anyway.. hang in there.. it will get sorted...

hope today is calmer and sunny!

maidto5 said...

Girl, there is NOTHING I cant live with out EXCEPT my DVR! I rely on it! I have dishnetwork too. They SUCK! But its the lesser of the evils I reckon. We have been fairly lucky ( knock on wood) with the latest DVR's we got. its the 2 rooom one. MY BIGGEST complaint about DW is the fact that I hardly ever get an American. I actually will say "where are you located" when they say Ripoffastan I tell them I need an American, Most times I get connected BEFORE they hang up on me..

Tara said...

LOL I don't think anyone hires Americans to answer phones... and if they do they sure don't speak the same English I do.

Anonymous said...

I have Time Warner now - the bill went from a comfortable $39.99 month "promotional rate" to $65+taxes and fees for the cheapest option. After hearing about your experience with Dish customer service I don't know what to do because cable is definitely a rip off. How is it possible that there are only three terrible choices out there?!!

Tara said...

I have now dealt with all three. I wrote Direct Tv off years ago after many horrible experiences and Dish was even worse.

I still have Road Runner from Time Warner, it's really my only option besides dial up and I am not going there, lol. My bill went up to 54.99 a month yet the lure in new people with 29.99 deals. I have called and begged to no end to get the discount. I even considered canceling and going back but apparently the promo is for first time only customers.

We have been a year now with no cable or satellite. I admit is was rough at first but now I love it. Everything I watch is on the basic channels and everything else is online for free. I guess a perk for the $55 a month I pay. I get 25 digital channels and they are enough.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
CandisFrancis said...

Now that I have internet service through Time Warner, I pretty much have no need for cable because I can watch any TV show or movie online for free.

Just to feel like I'm getting my money's worth I do everything at once. Watch TV while surfing the web and watching a movie online. Yeesh, the little things we do to not feel as taken advantage of as we are!