Thursday, December 4, 2008

waiting

Rylan had his hearing evaluation yesterday. She said he has significant fluid build up on both ears. They put us in a little room with speakers in the corners, she went into another booth and talked in varying tones into the speakers. Now I am not qualified to say but it seemed to ME that he hears much better on his right side than on his left, I think a couple of times she mistook him looking for her sound on the left when he was just twisting to get out of my lap, he did not appear to hear anything at all.

All in all she said his hearing is elevated, which despite the sounding better than normal, is worse than normal, lol. She said he falls in the normal range but at the very very very very tip of it and that the test can really only tell them how bad it is in the good ear. I was surprised she told me anything at all- a nice change from waiting weeks to get results from the ped.

I'm relieved- kinda. I'm glad we know, so we can go from here. The woman also told us that it's up his doctor who will either send up straight to the ENT doctor, or she may try allergy meds to drain the fluids first. We had an appointment this afternoon but the dr is sick and they just called and rescheduled us for Tues. I don't want to wait that long. I know it seems awful but I want to hurry. It seems unlikely we could push to have it done by the end of the year. I have a pretty good feeling that the doctor will want to try drugs first but we will end at tubes anyway. January 1st our insurance changes for the worse and I have no idea how we will afford that right of the bat, while we still need to heat the house.

Sad, we will still be paying an arm and a leg but the shitty coverage will get worse. Basically we will have a HUGE deductible per person, and more co-insurance, on average our OOP expense with be 15 times higher than this year. Ouch. I am however not willing to go without. I will continue to sign up for BCBS to rape us weekly because I have learned that what can go wrong, will go wrong. If I were cancel it, no doubt 3 days later one of us would require serious medical attention that would cost us everything. Just not a risk I am willing to take with me and mine as long as I have that option.

My brother has been in the hospital since Saturday, his insurance apparently covers ALL of it, my hubby is in the wrong line of work. One of us should be working for a school. Teachers are underpaid and under appreciated BUT they have good insurance, lol. Hopefully he will be home tomorrow, at least I'm hoping. It's hard to visit him, Rylan does NOT like riding the elevator- not at all. Little spaces, closed doors, unhappy Rylan.... the results are not good for the rest of our hearing. Thankfully it's only two floors and it goes quick, lol.

3 comments:

Karen said...

Tara, I'm so sorry that he has this problem, but I agree with you that it could be far, far worse. When you said that he was losing words, I thought of the chance of autism. Thank goodness that hearing loss is highly treatable. My father has significant deafness in both ears, and has most of his adult life. But you would never know it. His hearing aids allow him to hear as well as I can unless everyone is talking at once.

While you are waiting on the Dr, you might start looking into finding a surgeon, so that once you have a green light you can get something set up fast. And you might try looking into medicaid. They cover kids a lot of times when they don't cover adults. If he qualifies, they would pay everything.

Anonymous said...

Im so sorry about Rylan, but im glad you know there is a reason behind his non talking and getting a fix for it.

I can only imagine how horrible it is to have to worry about medical costs , i think its terrible unfair . I hope everything works out

Amnesty said...

If you explain your concerns about the insurance changing to the dr, they may go ahead with the tubes right away.
We have NO insurance right now, and when we applied for MediCal, we were denied. But Ben quit his job to save us on childcare, which I think puts us into the qualifying income range, and now that he is officially not getting anymore paychecks, we are trying again, for all the state kids' coverage programs. I think we'll most likely qualify for a discount program, not a free one, but I'll take whatever we can get at this point!