Thursday, January 24, 2008

envy

Why is it that even the simplest project in any given room of my house means the rest of the house turns into a disaster? The kitchen is a big project, that's a given, but even stupid things like hanging trim results in total chaos. Robby leaves his tools everywhere (which turns every little project into a grand adventure while he spends hours searching for some tool or another) and things get moved around... it feels like it takes forever to get them back in order. This is where our differences come out, he is well, a big slob. I like everything organized and neat, everything has a place and if it gets put back in it's place, you know where it is the next time you need it. Sounds simple enough but, despite me getting pissy and telling him every time he spends an hour searching for his drill (while he gets madder and madder because he can't find it) to just put it where it goes when he finishes, he still just doesn't get it. In order to accomplish anything in this tiny house things have to be moved, we have a lot of things in very little space. So things get put in other rooms, boxes pile up of stuff that needs to be put away, and it gets more crowed by the second. My kitchen is looking good, we have made a lot of progress and I'm really proud of how much Robby has accomplished (with me telling him where he set his level, hammer, and drill of course :) My job of putting it all back together isn't going well. Ryalns sleeping and I should be working on it but here I am. It actually feels bigger in here, but not much, lol.

We were thrilled until Monday, lol, it seems we are getting new neighbors. There has been an empty lot next door (not too close though) since we moved in. Two summers ago they came and cleared it, last summer they mowed it down again. This week they broke ground. Robby and I have been staring at them out the window (it's darn cold out there) and watching with horrible envy as they dig the foundation, which from our vantage point appears approximately three times the size of ours. I want a bigger house!!! I am thankful we have a house, it's ours, it's heated and has a roof but I can't help being jealous of what appears to be a HUGE house going up out my kitchen window. This is the smallest house I have ever lived in, that I remember anyway. When we looked at it, it was so full of crap... yup crap- junk. I know why we were the only ones interested, you couldn't see all it's little faults there was too much stuff. We told ourselves it was all the stuff that took away from the space, and given the size of the old farmhouse, any house would feel small. We were wrong, it is small. So now I'm on a kick about adding on. We have thought about it and tossed the idea around, now I have a goal- next spring the house shall be bigger.

Rylan's medicine seems to working finally, the afternoons of screaming have greatly diminished. He still isn't rolling again, just occasionally, but he has to get really mad to do it, which involves a lot of loud screaming on his part. He just wants to be held 24/7 and as much as I would like to, it's just not possible. He is sitting really well, I set him on the floor Saturday with some toys and watched a movie, he was still sitting when it was done. I put a pillow behind him just in case but for the most part he doesn't fall over, if he does it's to the side because he's reaching for an escaped toy. He is still basically bald, his hair has gotten darker but it's not growing. Well, except for these two hairs on the top of his head that are really long. I can't say how many times I've yanked on his two little hairs thinking they were mine and not attached. I should cut them but they are cute, I just want the rest to catch up, lol.

Saige is obsessed with scissors, after she cut her hair last month she stayed away from them for a while. I had to explain SHE is why she is missing large chunks of hair- not the scissors, they don't cut by themselves. Anyway this week she has been practicing her cutting, and has come along way. I gave her one of her old brighter vision books (they have all sorts of pages that need to be cut out, little books and games, etc) this morning and told her to have at it. She cut all the pictures out really well, even stayed on the lines for the most part and spent a better part of the afternoon playing the card game with her (fake) cat. Next time around I think I'm just going to get a furreal kid, you can shut them off for two minutes :)

Rylan has been sleeping well in his "new" room, Saige however has not. She ends up in my room any chance she gets. We told her if her brother is too noisy she can come in and sleep in the sleeping bag on the floor. So she waits for ANY sound, even a snore, of she doesn't get one she wakes him up and THEN comes in our room, telling us he wont let her sleep. It's driving me nuts, I think I preferred the little one. I swear my family is possessed in their sleep. She talks ALL night long, you would think she was awake listening to her, she goes on and on and screams at random intervals for no apparent reason. She talks nonstop all day too, no rest for her voicebox. I've resorted to sleeping with a pillow over my head as well as under, next stop earplugs.

I have the baby monitor on my nightstand with my alarm clock. Both are plugged into a power strip with a switch. Saige has figured out how it works so as soon as Rylan makes noise she flips the switch off. Which is funny if you don't mind resetting the clock on a daily basis. This morning Rylan got up around 5 and I brought him to bed with us so we could sleep a while longer and he was babbling. I watched Saige flip the switch about 10 times before crying "mommy he wont shut off!" I told her it was because he was in the room making noise, it wasn't coming from the monitor. So she said, "well put him back so I can shut him off."

0 comments: