Saturday, January 19, 2008

I hate mornings

I do, really. It's 20 after 7, I've been up for 20 mins with Rylan and he seems to think I'm going to let him go back to sleep! Hell no, I didn't get up this early for him to pass back out 20 mins later- he's up, lol. Robby gets up in the mornings, I like rolling out of bed around 10. In my defense I have a hell of a time falling asleep, I listen to him snoring away for HOURS before I finally pass out. When I get up the coffee is already made, the kids are usually relatively happy when I come down and stay that way long enough for me to get a few sips in and wake up.

Robby is going to work on my kitchen today!!! I'm so excited, my kitchen is seriously ugly and very sparse. When we moved in there were 2 base cabinets, 2 wall cabinets, a really ugly single sink unit (the American standard whole unit white ones, with metal cabinets and drawers) It's porcelain or cast iron, lol , I have no idea other than it's hard and I break a lot of glass. It's being replaced with a stainless double bowl and a pretty new faucet. It's not the faucet I want but the price was right and it will work until I get the one I want. We have new counter tops too, and the best part- when it's all done, it will match! I'm thinking we must have been the only ones to put in an offer on this place- no one else would have tolerated the kitchen., assuming they made it pas the rest of the flaws. There were (and still are in some places) A LOT of them.

It was owned by an older couple and it seems the guy thought he was Bob Villa- he WAS NOT. We had to patch and replace so much, for example my drywall all needs to be replaced (we've done the upstairs, not the down- I HATE drywall work). The man replaced the entire outside walls shortly before selling- he left the trim on and cut out the drywall around it! So there are large ugly crooked gaps around all the windows. The entire house, and I do mean the ENTIRE house, including INSIDE the shower (umm I certainly don't mean any offense to the old couple but have you ever heard of MOLD? not the smartest move), on the toilet and on the fridge was wallpapered in mismatched pink flowered stuff. There was 4 or 5 different patterns, mixed together through the whole thing. UGLY!!!

Removing the wallpaper was my job and after I got the hang of it fairly easy, I'm happy to say it's ALL gone and has been for about two years now. However I found tons of holes in the walls under the paper. Apparently these people thought why bother to fix it when we can cover it up and it will be someone else's problem? We have pvc plumbing running all over the house, straight down through my kitchen and downstairs bath ( Robby moved the kitchen one this week-yeah). All in all I just look around and think how incredibly lazy this gut must have been. I by no means have any decorating sense what so ever, but I think it's finally coming along.

I have to say the only thing we changed that wasn't completely half ass, was the staircase. It was an antique, wrap around open banister type. It was missing spindles (not good with small children) and it was too big for the house. There was a 22 inch landing at the top- not good, I had my first fall moving in carrying up a box and I hit the wall and fell backwards. I hit my head going up (and I'm short!) because the opening wasn't big enough. The old couple had to leave their bed because it wouldn't fit down the stairs! They were pretty, but they certainly didn't account for the size of them, they were designed for a house twice the size of this. I'll have to get some pictures on here. They lasted all of a month- we ripped them out and rebuilt and relocated them immediately, I wanted it done before Saige started moving on her own.

Rylan isn't cooperating anymore, lol, I'll have to finish later.

0 comments: