Saturday was our fourth anniversary. It seems like so much longer than that, I barely remember what life was like before Robby. As much as he drives me nuts I do love him to death. Anyway my mom gave us the BEST gift ever-
She took BOTH kids for the night and we (or most importantly, ME) got 12 hours of uninterrupted blissful sleep. Twelve silent, no whining, no crying, no screaming, I don't even think Robby snored, hours. It doesn't get any better than that. We are going out to dinner tonight and as nice as that will be I'm sure it wont beat sleep. Now I just need a few more of those nights :) It has really made me question going on the Disney cruise, what I need is a nice quite relaxing vacation. Somehow the idea of getting that trapped on a ship with thousands of other peoples screaming crying kids along with mine no longer seems like such a great idea, lol.
I get annoyed in those situations where (and there is always one) the kid wants something mom/dad says no, the kid proceeds to whine and cry, and whine and cry until mom/dad finally say fine. It's not the kid that gets to me it's the parent, I am one of those terrible moms at the grocery store. The one who doesn't hand over the candy bar to shut them up. Depending on how far I am, I will either just leave or ignore that tantrum (and all the annoyed people) while I check out. Thankfully I have only had to deal with that a couple of times, but I also think that's because I don't back down at home or in public and when I say something- that is what I mean.
I saw all this the other night shopping. A little (ok not so little maybe 7-8) boy and his mom, they were in the checkout line and he started asking for his gum NOW. She says when we get to the car, he says increasingly whinier BUT I WANT IT NOW, her again- when we get to the car, him stomping his foot and now yelling I WANT IT NOW. She gave it to him. Me? at that point the gum would be back on the shelf and he wouldn't be getting a damn thing. I stood and watched all this wanting to ping her in the head with my can of olives. Does she not know that giving in only encourages him to continue to act like an ass? Does she not know she looks like an even bigger ass for encouraging it? But, it got me thinking why did I agree to go on a cruise all about kids? I should send the kids with the big kid (aka dad) while I spend the three days in some spa on dry land. Then after I am nice and relaxed we can just go to Disney for a couple of days and back to the spa to recover. Now that sounds like a good idea.

2 comments:
Happy Anniversary Hun, we almost share a date :)
Oh im totally one of those mums to, i hate seeing kids whine and the parents giving in. They will never learn.
My sister is one of those, i sware she goes shopping with a £20 budget and if Courtney wants a £5 toy or something she will give her it to shut her up.
Happy anniversary babe!! That gift of sleep sounds awesome.....
Good parenting advice by the way. I'm not there yet but its good to know what to do -- and I totally agree w/your stance.
Post a Comment