http://www.9wsyr.com/news/local/story.aspx?content_id=e4c61387-b981-4c43-ad4a-ed5d0ec12acf
I found this amusing, sadly amusing. It seems NY wants to enact a passengers bill of rights which basically means if you are trapped on a plane that's sitting on a runway, after 3 hours the airline must provide water, food, and clean restrooms. Sounds reasonable right? I thought so, I had no idea they can pull away after loading to sit for 10 hours straight without leaving the ground. I have to say I would be beyond unreasonable if I were trapped in that plane. No water. food, or clean bathrooms on top of it? That would set me over the edge. I'm sure I would be "helped" off the plane in the midst of my breakdown.
Apparently the airlines disagree, they don't think they should have to provide any of the above, saying it's a federal matter and the states basically can't do anything about it. I watched this on 20/20 last week and I just sat there thinking this stuff happens and people still fly? It's ridiculous to think they would fight NY on having to provide necessities when there is a lengthy on-board wait. Why isn't this a federal law? Isn't it imprisonment of some sort to keep people locked up on a packed flight that hasn't left in the 10 hours since they boarded? They wont let you off the plane either, unless of course you cause a scene and then your in big trouble. So the options would be to sit still smell the overflowing toilets listen to your stomach growling and wishing you could just have a cup of water or get arrested.
I have been seriously rethinking flying to our cruise next year, looks like a long drive with kids is in our future. I realize this isn't the norm but, that is not a chance I'm willing to take. At least in the car with two whining kids I can turn up the radio and guaranteed the kids will be mine, and no matter how much I yell I probably wont end up in jail.

4 comments:
thanks for coming by bitchet.com and i agree about the airlines thing..
This is really interesting. Our family have done quite a bit of international air travel over the years and on occasion been stuck for several hours in planes. Generally they try to get everyone off if there's a problem, so you can wait in the terminal. Once, Mum and the rest of the family were stuck in somewhere horrid and couldn't get off. She said that was pretty awful but they were given food and drinks. The toilets were definitely a problem though. I wonder how these laws affect international travellers in foreign countries?
Oh PS: do you have a recipe for cookie frosting which does not include meringue powder or cornstarch? Also, does your frosting set, like icing?
Intersting, i have only ever been stuck for an hour or two. Cannot beleive they do not provide anything
Post a Comment