Saturday, August 22, 2009

Summer is quickly coming to an end. We go to Philadelphia Monday with lots planned including Sesame Place. When we get back soccer starts. I agreed to coach Saige's team. I know nothing about coaching, and very little about soccer should it should be interesting. It seems no one was willing to do it, and that left me. I had signed up for team parent, hand out teeshirts and organize snacks, that sort of thing. Something that I could do and still wrangle in Rylan. Now I am both. I have zero patience and have no idea where I am going to find some, it will be needed. It's a bit chaotic and unorganized, I have my players list but no schedule yet. I got a practice slot but the coach training isn't for 3 more weeks, in the mean time I just have to wing it. So far I have only gotten a hold of one kids parent. One of the girls was on her team in the Spring and her little sister is on the team too. We have 3 5yr olds and 2 4 yr olds but were told to be prepared they may add more. Gulp. I am scared, wish me luck.

We will miss the Kindergarten orientation because of vacation, but did get a chance to meet Saige's teacher this week. She was really great and I think it will be a great year for her. She is a bit disappointed that only two or three of her old classmates will be in her new class. But, there may be more. There are two classrooms that have a dividing wall between them and they do a lot together and the wall is usually open. Mostly disappointed that her "best" friend isn't in her class of on her soccer team. I am a bit relieved, they can be troublesome together. I am still going to miss her like crazy being gone all day but will be there as often as they will let me and can't wait for all the projects she brings home.

Saige is swimming like a pro, she has made so much progress since swimming lessons ended and I have been swimming with her. It's hard to believe she is the same girl who wouldn't touch the pool without her floaties 2 months ago. She hasn't used them since. She can swim across the pool, she jumps off the board, swims underwater and gets better everyday. We've been working on diving. Even Rylan is doing great. He wears his floatie suit but LOVES the water. He goes all on his own and doesn't want anyone touching him or getting in his way. He is quite determined, his little legs go a mile a minute and he goes back and forth. He likes the diving board too. I bet he is swimming on his own next summer. He has none of the hesitation Saige had, and there is no stopping him when he wants something.

On a funnier note (poor hubby, lol) Summer finally caught up to us and it has been HOT. Saige strips down first chance she gets and runs around the house in her underwear. The other day she wanted to go out but we told her she needed to get dressed first. She asked Rob why.
Saige- "Why do I have to wear a shirt?"
daddy- "Because you're a girl"
Saige "but why, you don't"
daddy- "Because girls have boobs"
Saige- "Then you better put one on too, yours are way bigger than mine"

Kids are so funny :)

Elmo here we come.

3 comments:

blacx52 said...

Tara, sorry you got stuck with a team.

Try the library,

Amazon here:

http://www.amazon.com/Coaching-Soccer-Dummies-Sports-Hobbies/dp/0471773816

(be sure to check the used ones)

, and local school and league coaches for advice.

US Youth Soccer League is here:

http://www.usyouthsoccer.org/national_league/index.asp

It's also a good idea to recruit several team moms, just in case.

Good luck helping them learn to play, and make sure everybody has fun.

Tara said...

Thank you for the links.

Karen said...

I could not do the soccer. I did cub scouts and swim team and all kinds of other stuff, but I could not do soccer. Too hot. Too many allergies. Too overwhelming, LOL. Good luck.

But that it SOOOO funny about Rob's boobs.