Saturday, July 25, 2009

progress

I was suppose to have a garage sale with my mom today. We did it last weekend and actually made quite a bit of money. Yesterday was yucky so we skipped it. Mom started at 9:30 this morning and had 1 person before I got there at 11:30. Still no one by noon, and it was hot, so we called it quits and went swimming instead. The kids and I were slathered in sunblock but we got burned. Saige on her cheeks and my whole face. It hurts :(

Anyway... Saige learned to swim today. She has been taking lessons all summer, and did last summer too. While she got better she was not swimming on her own as of Friday. Part of the problem is really large classes, 15 kids, 3 girls doing them, and 30 mins doesn't really give them much of a chance. But she enjoys being with the other kids and jumping in for the last 5 minutes. It's cheap so we keep signing up.

She has one of those suits with the floaties built in at my moms house and she will swim all over with that on but until today refused to leave the steps without it. I finally convinced her that if she can touch in the shallow end with the floatie suit, she can touch without it. So she tried it. Within minutes I had her doing a back float on her own (the biggie they keep trying to get her to work on at lessons, she refuses to put her head back). Once she did it, she did it over and over and over. Then after a few tries she was doing the doggy paddle on her own and then she even started swimming with her head under water. I am totally impressed at how long she can hold her breath for. I am really proud of her, it was quite a lot for a single day. I even had her jumping of the diving board with her floatie suit on, another thing she has absolutely refused to try, although she will jump off the side of the deep end, lol.

Rylan also loves the pool, he likes to put his face in the water and jump in. It's hard with his ears. The plugs never seem to stay in no matter how hard I push them in there and I am always nervous about him getting water in his ears. But he doesn't seem to care, hopefully that is a good sign, Saige was 5 before she was willing to get her head wet. I hope he proves me wrong but I don't see him being ready for lessons next year. They have to able to sit, wait their turn, listen and behave.

1 comments:

Karen said...

I'm so impressed! Zoe hasn't started swim lessons because of that needing to be able to follow directions. She's not so good at that. Nor at sitting, waiting her turn, listening, or behaving. I'm hoping she starts in the spring session of the swim team, though. I'd love for 3 or the kids to be in an activity together.