Last year I went to a funeral and saw all my cousins, that I had not seen in years... there are quite a few of them. I am the oldest by a year or two. I am also the only one married and the only one with kids. I admit, I was jealous. They all seemed to have such exciting lives... jobs, parties, etc. Just for a moment, I missed those days, the freedom to come and go as I please and no one to be responsible for but myself, partying all night, sleeping all day. Then I came home, kissed my kids and it all disappeared, I realized I AM the lucky one. There sure were good times, but nothing that comes close to comparing to the good times I have now, different as they may be. I would not trade it for the world. So all in all it was great decade for me, I hope this one comes close, it would be hard to top 2000 though.
Christmas was wonderful, the best one yet. Well it could have been better, Saige come down with a 103 fever on Christmas day and kept it for the next 5. The poor thing didn't really get to enjoy the day or her gifts. All she wanted for Christmas was Bendaroos and Paperoni. She asked for nothing else. Santa provided, they were the first gifts she opened before she got sick, but they sat in a pile all week with the rest of her stuff untouched while she laid on the couch :( Rylan and I had a bout of not feeling so great as well, but we were lucky, it come and went quickly. Unfortunately it ruined our plans to meet up with Amnesty and her family at the Museum of Play. They were in Rochester for Christmas week and I was so looking forward to meeting them, I hope we get another chance. As for the Strong museum, we are going to attempt that next month, if all goes well, lol.
Anyway back to Christmas... Christmas eve everyone opened up their new pajamas. I have never seen a kid so happy to get new PJ's as Rylan was. He "got" it this year, as far as opening presents. He tore open the paper and opened the box. He saw the firetrucks and jumped up squealing in delight, he was kissing them and hugging them, then insisted we put them on him right then and there TUCK ON TUCK ON NOW! Saige liked hers too but the excitement didn't compare to Rylans. I tried to get a good picture of them in front of the tree but it just wasn't happening. They were more interested in pretending to sleep in the chair.
We were all spoiled rotten. I saved up all my survey money all year long and used it all for Christmas. Robby got all sorts of new tools and stuff for me to find all over the house or more likely for Rylan to seek and destroy. I got a Wii fit to go with the Wii Santa left us, which I am LOVING. I also got my biggest present ever. My mom got me a new washer and dryer!!!!! They were way more than I was expecting or even hoping for. I can't even describe how happy I am. They are fancy, they stack and the washer is a front loader. I'm not sure how sad it is that I am this excited by the prospect of doing laundry, but I am. Of course I am still waiting for Robby to get them hooked up for me, and I am getting impatient. We need to go get some plumbing stuff, the stuff he forgot we needed when we went to Lowes the other night. I told him he can't open his new saw until my washer is hooked up, so far that hasn't motivated him enough, it is cold out there. So tonight I hid the guitar for Guitar Hero, I'll "find" it when I am finally loading and folding, lol. In all our years together, he hasn't really been into video games but he is loving that one. Everything that needs to be done, is "just one more song" away (he doesn't count well, lol). As terrific as the washer and dryer are, this is my favorite gift, made from my favorite little finger prints.
My kids were spoiled as well but in a good way this year. There weren't many toys. Rylan got more toys than Saige, mostly cars, trucks and dinosaurs... including a gigantic one with a remote control. He also got a new Spongebeob bed, we haven't set it up yet. I keep asking him if he wants it, he keeps saying no. I'm not in a hurry, he climbs IN his crib. But, has never climbed out and I fear moving him to a bed will mean the end of naptime. I am NOT ready for that. I am loving my time alone in the afternoon. He goes down when Robby leaves and gets up shortly before Saige gets off the bus. That gives me time to pick up, catch up on tv online or nap myself. There is still 20 months before he heads off to school too. I know time flies but I am araid without nap time that flying time will turn into an eternity, lol. He still NEEDS the nap, without it he is cranky and miserable for the last 3-4 hours of the day and that is no fun for anyone.
Saige for the most part aside from just a couple of toys, got things to do, which is terrific. Books, puzzles, games, art kits and supplies, and playdoh. She got some really neat stuff that will keep her busy. Anything that that doesn't end up forgotten about in a pile is good in my book. She also got her own camera which she adores. I should load up her pictures from Christmas, they are probably better than mine. My mom did get her a giant furreal dog- but she wanted him to stay at her house (thankfully) and she got a Fancy Nancy doll from my MIL and books and a game to go with her, she loves her. A month ago I had never heard of Fancy Nancy and was pretty sure Saige wouldn't know who she was either but she did, apparently from school, and she was thrilled. We have read the books so many times already I can recite them by heart.
On a good note, Rylan's speech is improving so fast! He has made great progress these last few months, and even more in just the past couple weeks. It's great how much he is talking all of a sudden, and he is finally parroting us. Better late than never, but mommy needs to learn to watch her mouth, lol. Oh and he is singing his first song! Granted it's not the typical Twinkle Twinkle Little Star or Itsy Bitsy Spider, but, this is huge for Rylan- he hates singing. He will slap you and scream stop if you try to sing to him, he just doesn't like it. So he has never really followed along enough to do it himself. He got a car for Christmas that plays Tom Cochrane's Life is a Highway when you press the button, and he sings along! It's not completely understandable but it's totally cute.
Saige, what can I say about Saige? There isn't really anything new to report, she is still just an all around great kid. She loves school, she is doing well. Her reading and writing skills are improving rapidly. I got her a set of books for Christmas that she can read to us- she thinks that is just the best. She loves anything creative, and takes pride in her work, which in turns makes me super proud.
I hope everyone's holidays were as great as our and best wishes for the New Year!

0 comments:
Post a Comment